Week 5 Update

Hey guys!

As many of you know, I began my weight loss journey on January 11…5 weeks ago.  I can’t believe it’s been 5 weeks!!  I began the first 24 days of my journey with the Advocare 24-Day Challenge, and I rocked it!  My husband and I did it together, and I lost 7.7 pounds and 22 inches all around my body.

Since then, I have kept on trucking and was doing very well…until the latter part of last week.

As some of you read on my last post, I wanted to add a new focus for last week: exercise.  Up until last week, I hadn’t done much in the way of exercise so I wanted to add it back into my routine.  The week started off awesome!

Monday: I returned to my 5 am workouts that I hadn’t done since the summer time.  I forgot how much I missed that time of devotion and working together with other ladies to meet and exceed fitness goals.  It was a little rushed since I had to be back home by 6 am to get to work on time, but I enjoyed it very much.

Tuesday:  I had initially planned to run after school with the running group, but alas, a long day at school and a lingering ear ache enabled me with an excuse to tell myself no.  After getting a little rest after school, it was time to take my daughter to dance.  Her practice is 1.5 hours, so I decided to run to the gym and get some time in.  Boy am I glad I did!  I walked a few laps around the track before talking myself into my workout.  I used day 1 of Jamie Eason’s Live Fit program and got to work.  It was an arm day, so I wore myself out and slept well.

Wednesday:  Wednesday morning, I was back at the early morning workout, and to my surprise, it was arm day.  Ugh.  After I had just done arms less than 12 hours prior.  I stopped my whining and got to work. Afterwards, I was incredibly sore, but went on about my day.  As night time went on, I found myself in more and more pain, but hoped I would get over it by morning.

Thursday:  WRONG!  I did not get over it by morning.  It was worse.  So much worse. My triceps had never been in so much pain.  I was very thankful that I had already taken a personal day to be with my hubby on his birthday, so at least I didn’t have to hurt at work, but that relief was short lived as I had to clean my house for company coming over that night for an Advocare mixer (our first one!).  I let the excitement and urgency of needing a clean house push me through cleaning even though my arms were on fire.  The night didn’t go as expected and several people cancelled…actually all of them cancelled.  So even though I was thrilled to have a super clean house, I was met with an unexpected disappointment which dampened my spirits.  My husband also had a job interview that day which we were very excited about, and even though the interview went VERY well, my husband was met with disappointment when he was told that he was OVER qualified for that particular job position, but that they would keep him in mind.  So after two big disappointments and a body that was now EXTREMELY sore and tired, AND a birthday boy in the house, we subjected ourselves to an evening of Johnny’s pizza (and almost immediate regret).  It just didn’t taste as good as I’d hoped it would.  It wasn’t worth it.

Friday:  After recovering from Johnny’s pizza, I resolved to have a much better eating day at work.  This quickly fell through when I walked in my classroom to find a large box of chocolates on my desk brought to me by a sweet student.  I was good and resisted most of the day.  I had one or two before lunch.  And then I had a very emotional incident happen with one of my students.  I was devastated with the situation and let my emotions get the best of me…as well as the rest of the box of chocolates.  I also didn’t get in any exercise.  Boo.

Saturday: After beating myself up about the chocolate, I forced myself to eat better on Saturday, and I did.  My husband was gone most of the day for ministry work, so I let that be an excuse to not get any exercise, and I didn’t, but I was very pleased in getting my eating back on track (yes

Sunday:  I stayed on track with my eating all day.  I was very proud of myself considering it was Valentine’s day and all, but as they say, “pride goes before the fall”…and it did.  My husband was so sweet in bringing me a tiny cake from the store to eat as an after dinner Valentine’s gift.  No one forced me to eat it.  I wasn’t even really hungry for it, but I ate it anyway because it was there.  Pitiful.


TBH: I almost didn’t post today.  I was embarrassed to say that I had failed.  I was nervous about what you guys would think of me.  I let my emotions dictate my effort and I let myself and you guys down.   I gained about a pound instead of losing anything.  While focusing my efforts on squeezing in more exercise, I didn’t stick to my tracking of what I ate, and since I wasn’t tracking, I set myself up for failure.

Instead of wallowing about it, I pulled my running shoes on and went for a run today.  It felt good.  I was proud of myself.  It was a reminder that I have a choice every day how I choose to treat my body.  I can do what I know is best for myself.  I can eat what I know will fuel me.  I can exercise and make myself feel better.  Today’s macros were on point as well.  I can sleep tonight feeling much better about myself which will fuel me up for a great week ahead.

I know that this path may not always be linear, but will have some ups and downs, and I pray that moving on from this down spot will make me stronger.  I pray that God will give me the strength to keep me from letting my emotions dictate my efforts.  I will be praying for those of you that may be struggling as well.

Your Friend in the Fight Against Fat,


4 Comment

  1. Jessica Cochran says: Reply

    I am the world’s worst at letting my emotions make my decisions ??

    1. newyear.newamanda@gmail.com says: Reply

      Me too girl! It’s terrible. God’s helping me, but it really takes some fight!

  2. Heather Smith says: Reply

    Loved reading this, Amanda. I started back on my weight watcher ap about a week and a half ago. Then, I promptly got sick (I don’t care how I eat when I’m sick – if it sounds good, into my mouth it goes). That lasted pretty much a week. Then came Valentine’s Day and our anniversary. So, I haven’t gotten off to a great start, but (Lord helping me) I will be back on full throttle tomorrow.

    1. newyear.newamanda@gmail.com says: Reply

      Sometimes it’s good to know you’re not the only one! Thank you for sharing! I’ll be praying with you this week. 🙂

Leave a Reply